Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Personal Reflection

For the classic novel study, I read The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I’m very happy I was given a medium which I could study Dostoevsky, as throughout my studies, I’ve found him to be an incredibly intelligent and interesting man. He lead an incredibly interesting and noteworthy life filled with tragedy and success, and his novels served as an excellent outlet for him to express that.

Dostoevsky was an incredibly well respected man, and after reading some of his work, it is not hard to see why. Reading The Idiot has reshaped and helped form many of my philosophies, for example the death penalty. Dostoevsky has an incredible way with reasoning which captivates the reader and brings them over to his viewpoint very quickly.

Being someone who is interested in the arts – writing included – as well as philosophy, reading Dostoevsky’s work was a very fulfilling, enjoyable, and thought-provoking experience. In future philosophical discussions and even my own thoughts, I’m certain I will be able to look back at many of the topics covered in this book to help shape my opinions. Not only this, but the characters in the novel also prove to be quite deep and interesting, which I’m sure will be able to help me in my own writing, as well as acting.

Reading The Idiot has interested me in further studying Dostoevsky for personal reading, I look forward to reading more of his classics such as Crime and Punishment, and The Brothers Karamazov. If they prove to be as captivating (I’ve heard Karamazov is considered his best work by many) as The Idiot was, I’m surely in for more deep literary experiences, and presumably new philosophical concepts to be brought to my attention.

In all, I’m very pleased with my choice of book and with the opportunity to put some critical thought into such a revered writer such as Fyodor Dostoevsky. I believe it has helped form many abstract philosophical thoughts, and was an engaging, enjoyable read on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment