Monday, April 11, 2011

Reading Response #1

Fyodor Dostoevsky is considered by academics and readers around the world to be one of the greatest authors, with many of his books appearing on a multitude of “best-of” lists. Albert Einstein even said "Dostoevsky gives me more than any scientist, more than Gauss." To further even this praise, Friedrich Neitzsche called Dostoevsky “the only psychologist from whom [he] had anything to learn”. With praise like this from such amazing minds and important figures, I went into The Idiot expecting quite a lot, and it did not disappoint. It is truly a classic novel.

After portraying a guilty man in Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky embarked on The Idiot as a medium to write about a truly delightful and innocent character: Prince Myshkin. Early in the novel his character is quite clear. He is a very nice man who means no trouble, although he is afflicted with epilepsy (in the time of the novel’s writing and within the book, called “idiocy”), which has led the people around him to be standoffish and think quite little of him. However, time after time he proves to the people he encounters that he is smart, conversational, and very nice.

Of course, a perfect character wouldn’t be very compelling, so it is interesting to see the way he is written even when he is angry or annoyed. In one passage, The Prince is being berated by the character Ganya, who calls him an “idiot” on the street, and the Prince replies with a wonderful retort:

“I must point out to you Gavrilla Ardalionovich, that formerly I was indeed unwell, so that in fact I was almost an idiot; but I have been well for a long time now, and therefore I find it somewhat unpleasant when I’m called an idiot to my face. Though you might be excused, considering your misfortunes, in your vexation you have even abused me a couple of times. I dislike that very much, especially the way you do it, suddenly, from the start. And since we’re now standing at an intersection, it might be better if we parted: you go home to the right and I’ll go left. I have twenty-five roubles, and I’m sure I’ll find furnished rooms.”

It is a beautiful and succinct representation of The Prince’s quiet, collected power in even very harsh situations, as well as his intelligence and vocabulary. It's this calm power and depth of character, that makes The Prince such a likable and interesting character. I look forward to reading more of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment